Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service
Villamanta is a community legal service that works only on disability related legal rights issues. Villamanta helps Victorians with a disability know about the law and use the law.Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service advances the rights of people who have a disability related justice issue. Villamanta can provide,
- a free telephone information, advice and referral service
- Legal assistance and casework for people who have a disability about disability-related legal problems (our main focus is on the rights of people who have an intellectual disability)
VILLAMANTA CAN BE USED BY:
- Anyone who has a disability and lives in Victoria;
- Any advocate, friend or relative of a person with a disability;
- Carers who support a person with a disability;
- Non-government or not for profit service providers.
The Australian Human Rights Commission
Leading the promotion and protection of human rights in Australia by:
- making human rights values part of everyday life and language;
- empowering all people to understand and exercise their human rights;
- working with individuals, community, business and government to inspire action;
- keeping government accountable to national and international human rights standards
A telephone service for reporting cases of neglect and abuse of disabled members of the community.
Abuse and neglect of disabled people is unacceptable in our community. The Hotline is a toll-free telephone service providing the opportunity to talk to someone and report incidents of abuse and neglect.
Cases of abuse and neglect can include physical, sexual, psychological, legal and civil abuse, restraint and restrictive practices, or financial abuse. It can also include the withholding of care and support which exposes an individual to harm.
Callers with disability who need support to make a complaint are referred to advocacy assistance.